Posted on February 27, 2013 in Press Releases
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Omar Tewfik, 202-652-4988
Iran's Fall From Favor: 20 Nation Poll Finds Decline in Support Among Arabs, Muslims. Worrisome Sectarian Divide Opens.
On March 5, 2013, Dr. James Zogby of Zogby Research Services (ZRS) and President of the Arab American Institute (AAI) will release the results of an extensive survey of Arab and Muslim attitudes toward Iran, its policies and its nuclear program. The poll will be released at the Woodrow Wilson Center in Washington, DC.
Comparing the 2012 results with earlier polling, Zogby will discuss several significant shifts in attitudes across the region that have occurred in just the past six years, all of which have serious policy implications, including:
- the degree of Iran's fall from favor during the past decade. Once praised for its defiance of the West, now it is increasingly seen as a meddlesome provocateur
- the role played by Iran's involvement in Iraq, Bahrain and Syria in alienating Arab public opinion, with Syria being the "nail in the coffin" of Iran's popularity
- the growth of a worrisome Sunni/Shia divide which threatens the unity of several Arab and Muslim countries
- how Iran's nuclear program, once only the concern of governments, is now opposed by publics in almost every Arab and Muslim country
- how the Obama Administration's lower profile in the Middle East and "leading from behind" has actually improved U.S. standing in Arab public opinion
AAI President James Zogby said, "When American policy makers discuss Iran, the focus is on Israel, as if that were the only issue to consider. In reality, the Islamic Republic of Iran is not only a concern for Americans and Israelis. It is also a growing concern for people across the Arab and Muslim Worlds."
Download a few sample slides from the presentation here.
AAI maintains an extensive and comprehensive archive of Zogby International polls on Arab, Arab American, and U.S. opinion covering a wide range of issues.
What: Poll Release: Arab and Muslim Attitudes toward Iran
When: Tuesday, March 5, 2013. From 12:30pm-2:00pm
Where: Woodrow Wilson Center, 6th Floor, Joseph H. and Claire Flom Auditorium
For more information on panelists and to RSVP, click here.
ZRS surveyed 20,051 citizens in 20 countries: 17 Arab countries (Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Sudan, Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Oman, Yemen, and Saudi Arabia) and three non-Arab countries (Turkey, Azerbaijan, and Pakistan).