Position: Campaign Organizer
Job Type: Full Time
Application Deadline: 10/11/2019
Location: Washington, DC
About AAI: Established in 1985 and based in Washington, DC, the Arab American Institute (AAI) is a non-profit, nonpartisan national leadership organization created to encourage, recognize, and celebrate Arab American participation in American civic life, and to cultivate and mobilize a strong, educated, empowered Arab American community that plays a meaningful role in the betterment of our country. AAI’s work focuses on two areas: civic engagement, and policy formation and research. Through ongoing meetings and forums with policy makers, a variety of publications and issue briefs, and media and direct member mobilization, AAI maintains a strong presence among policy makers on issues impacting civil rights and civil liberties. Our programming provides communities with the platform and hard data necessary to strategically and successfully combat xenophobia, and anti-Arab and anti-Muslim bigotry.
About Our Team: AAI seeks to make positive change in a way that is both principled and impactful. An ideal AAI team member will be a self-starter who has a strong commitment to the protection of civil and human rights and civil liberties for all, and is driven by a desire to advance AAI’s mission efficiently and effectively. We are proud to be a small, scrappy team that does good work.
AAI provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status.
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees, and ranges from $38-42k. AAI offers a competitive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, a retirement plan, and a generous leave policy.
The Campaign Organizer manages the various local campaigns AAI is leading in 2019 & 2020, ensuring the broad participation of our community members, stakeholders, allies, policy makers, and advocates to meet the goals of the campaign(s). The Campaign Organizer will lead and work in collaboration with field, policy, and program colleagues to produce actionable items for engaged supporters who will work to advance the campaign objectives. They will also be responsible for overseeing AAI’s five (5) local field organizers, communicating campaign updates with appropriate messaging both externally & internally, and maintaining strict data quality standards. The ideal candidate is a creative, adept communicator with strong attention to detail, and who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
The Campaign Organizer will manage the implementation of AAI’s state-based campaigns and supervise local field organizers. The Campaign Organizer is expected to build and maintain relationships with leaders in the Arab American community, recruit and manage volunteers for program implementation, and participate in cross-departmental programs and events. Specific tasks include:
- Field Organizer Management:Oversee the work of five (5) state-based field organizers, including setting and evaluating their goals, strategizing and troubleshooting the implementation of campaign plans, and serving as the communicator between local and national field work.
- Project Management:Take ownership of campaigns from gestation to fruition (from content conception, to production, and through execution); direct the implementation of AAI’s tailored field plans in each state; ensure publications, events, and other deliverables are reviewed by relevant internal stakeholders to receive a sign off and meet deadlines; in cases where AAI is a member of coalitions to advance campaign goals, must prioritize the effective collaboration between partners while also working to meet AAI campaign goals; ensure superior standards are maintained throughout the production and organizing process; and keep records of work and process to include in a final campaign report/transition materials.
- Community Relations & Content Creation: Communicate with local volunteers and advocates interested in getting involved in the campaign(s); create and disseminate engagement resources based on volunteer need
- Data management and list building:Prioritize the safe, secure handling of AAI’s database information & system access; ensure the input of data in a timely manner; build the list of viable contacts in the database through volunteer recruitment and outreach efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to and understanding of AAI’s mission.
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- A self-starter, entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and team skills; demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Working knowledge of local politics and strong relationships with local community leaders preferred; a commitment to best practices in the field of organizing, including relational & digital organizing, canvassing, phone banks, and reporting. Experience managing staff is a plus.
- Strong time-management skills and work ethic.
- Ability to motivate interns and volunteers to reach goals.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to spend long hours on the phone and canvassing and willingness to work irregular hours.
- Familiarity with NationBuilder is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree; preferably 2+ years of experience with community organizing and/or electoral campaigns encourage
HOW TO APPLY
Please note that due to the number of applications we receive when a position is posted, we are, unfortunately, only able to respond directly to candidates with whom we wish to move forward in the interview process. Thank you.
If you are interested in a paid internship, find our how to apply here.
If you are interested in a career in public service, click here to find opportunities.