Posted by Rawan Elbaba on November 28, 2017 in Blog
We’ve been fighting for Arab American rights all year and need your support to keep the momentum.
2017 has been full of major policy developments around the Muslim Ban, free speech restrictions, surveillance, and DACA. While responding to these important issues, we’ve launched several new initiatives like the #ReportHate Project to help people report hate crimes, and work with policy makers to strengthen hate crime laws. We also launched #DecodeHate, an interactive website—complete with shareable graphics, videos, and in-depth briefs on some of the most pervasive advocates of hate—to help drive the public narrative away from fear and back to facts. Both initiatives were created in an effort to proactively give people the tools to understand and counter anti-Arab and anti-Muslim bigotry in our public discourse.
We’ve also expanded our advocacy efforts in the face of intense partisanship, foreign attempts to divide our electorate, and bigotry in the classroom.
We hosted a town hall with Arab American Delegate Sam Rasoul from Virginia on progress across party lines. Our community discussed what we can all do to foster productive dialogue and action in solidarity with one another during this hyper-partisan climate.
We also challenged hate content with Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg after probes into Russia’s interference with our 2016 elections produced evidence that social media (including Facebook and Twitter) was used to create hatred and division.
To combat hate in the classroom at the beginning of the new school year, we launched a ‘know-your-rights’ hub for students, parents, and teachers. The resource outlines the protections against discrimination available through Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, and provides avenues for reporting discrimination.
To continue this important work, however, we need your generous support.
Every dollar you donate will go to:
- Rejecting hate and bigotry by fighting against the misguided and discriminatory #MuslimBan;
- Supporting working groups in 16 states, with over 100 community partners, to combat hate crimes and #ReportHate;
- Proactively countering anti-Arab and anti-Muslim bigotry by providing information and tools to #DecodeHate;
- Standing up for free speech and justice for Palestine;
- Representing our community by adding a Middle East/North Africa (MENA) category to the U.S. Census; and
- Reforming surveillance programs that unjustly target our community and the civil liberties of all.
Every $5, $10, $20, $50, or $100 helps us defend our rights during one of our country’s most challenging and divisive times.
So, join us today, November 28 for #GivingTuesday to support our fight for the Arab American community.