INTERNSHIP POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
YALLA VOTE INTERN: California, Florida, Massachusetts, OR Michigan
Deadline: July 27th, 2018, with rolling applications
Position: Yalla Vote Student Intern
About AAI: Established in 1985 and based in Washington, DC, the Arab American Institute (AAI) is a non-profit, nonpartisan national leadership organization. AAI was created to nurture and encourage the direct participation of Arab Americans in political and civic life in the United States. AAI represents the policy and community interests of Arab Americans throughout the United States and strives to promote Arab American participation in the U.S. electoral system. We strive to serve as a central resource to government officials, the media, political leaders and community groups on a variety of public policy issues that concern Arab Americans and U.S.-Arab relations.
About Yalla Vote: Launched in 1998, Yalla Vote is the foundation of our nonpartisan integrated voter engagement campaign. With high concentration of Arab Americans living in some of the largest and most politically contested states, we know our community can make a difference on issues that matter to all Americans. Beyond just election year organizing, Yalla Vote is our vehicle to make the Arab American community's voice heard nationally and locally.
Description: The Yalla Vote Student Interns will work closely with their regional Field Organizer to advance Yalla Vote's voter registration program on their respective campuses. Interns will have a unique, challenging, and informative experience learning about the local community and how to help run a successful grassroots initiative. Interns will gain first-hand experience and exposure to the electoral and issue advocacy process at the local level while learning lifelong skills. This internship is a limited duration assignment. The target start date is August 1st, 2018. We expect to fill this position with committed, highly capable interns able to meet the following responsibilities:
- Register new voters on college campuses;
- Help organize and execute Yalla Vote events on college campuses;
- Help organize and execute Yalla Vote events in the community (voter registration, phone banks, canvasses, information tables, meet & greets, etc.);
- Assist in data management (collected from events, volunteers, etc.);
- Assist with volunteer recruitment on college campuses;
- Engage with the Arab American student population on campus to promote Yalla Vote and AAI;
- Participate in weekly check-in calls or meetings with Field Organizer.
- Fill out weekly reports to track progress on campus engagement.
- Experience with student organizing and/ or electoral campaigns preferred;
- Working knowledge of, and familiarity with, local politics;
- Strong time-management skills and work ethic;
- Well-organized, results-oriented, with a precise attention to detail;
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Self-motivated, reliable, and proactive;
- Positive attitude and good judgement.
Applicants enrolled as students at a university or college institution are encouraged to apply. The internship position is unpaid, but may be used for college credit. A commitment of 10 working hours weekly is required. Please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to the appropriate organizer listed below. Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Send application materials to:
California: Johanna Mustafa, email@example.com
Florida: Basma Alawee, firstname.lastname@example.org
Massachusetts: Steven Austerer, email@example.com
Michigan: Yara Beydoun, firstname.lastname@example.org