Posted by on August 27, 2010 in Blog
Yesterday (8/26/2010) on FRANCE 24, an internationally broacast news channel, Jim participated in a panel discussion on the controversy surrounding the proprosed Islamic Community Center in lower Manhattan. All six panel members (listed below) were asked by host Mark Owen to comment on the political discourse and climate that has insued as a result of the Cordoba Innititative's decision to build an Islamic cultural approximately 2 blocks from Ground Zero.
In the first part of the program, Jim discussed the effects of the controversey on Arab and Muslim Americans: "In some ways this is a situation worse than Abu Ghraib and Guantanmo combined", he said. Jim also raised many points about the political discourse and hateful rhetoric emenating from certain groups which has spiraled out of control in recent weeks, and stated that this issue is creating fear about the future of the Muslim community in the United States.
To watch the panel discussion in full, please follow the links below. Also, tell us what you think about the program and its panelists by commenting on this post.
Watch the Program:
Other panelists included:
- Zachary Miller, Vice-Chair for Democrats Abroad France
- Steven Erlanger, New York Times Paris Bureau Chief
- Julian Zelizer, Professor of History and Public Affairs at Princeton University
- Alan Cooperman, Associate Director for Research at Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life
- Radouane Eljaouhari, Restaurant owner in New York
comments powered by Disqus