The Arab American Institute (AAI) supports policies that promote a positive way forward for Lebanon and recognize that Lebanon is a key component to a stable, peaceful Middle East.
The United States must work to develop constructive policies for Lebanon- policies that promote territorial integrity, political independence, and cultural integration of Lebanon. Divisive, unilateral language and legislation seeking to isolate and condemn America’s regional adversaries only perpetuates the dangerous prism through which U.S. policymakers currently view Lebanon- as a country defined by irreparable sectarian divisions and inevitable host to foreign proxies. Sincere diplomatic engagement by the U.S. is needed to support Lebanon in its progress towards sustainable political reconciliation necessary for the future and to urge Lebanon’s regional neighbors to continue working with the leadership in Lebanon to expedite full governance in Lebanon by Lebanese authorities.
AAI endorses U.S. diplomacy that will assist the Lebanese people in achieving reform, reconciliation and national unity; work to strengthen the Lebanese army and develop other national institutions; encourage investment and economic development that will facilitate fair distribution of services, opportunities and employment; and encouragement for the implementation of all U.N. reforms. It is crucial for U.S. leadership to demonstrate to the Lebanese people that their country, as a unified and sovereign nation, is a respected U.S. partner in the Middle East-rather than a battleground of foreign confrontation or competition.
- AAI Hosts Emergency Leadership Summit in DC — 08/12/2014
- Clinton International Summer School Sparks a Flame for Young Palestinian — 08/01/2014
- A Fateful Encounter: Syrian Playwright Debuts Play at NY Festival — 07/24/2014
- Late to the Game: U.S. Policy in Lebanon and Syria — 06/17/2014
- 5 Years After Obama’s Cairo Speech: New Poll on Arab Attitudes in 7 Countries — 06/02/2014
- The Coming Reversion? Four Potential Elections that Could Redefine the Middle East — 03/28/2014
- Senators Tim Kaine and Angus King take on the Middle East — 02/28/2014
- Lebanon’s Wandering Eyes: The Non-Controversy over Jackie Chamoun — 02/20/2014
- Look to Lebanon — 11/21/2013
- Photographer Rania Matar Captures People’s Similarities Despite Cultural Differences — 10/11/2013
From Dr. Zogby
- Making Up History to Make Your Case — 06/30/2014
- The Story Behind the Polls — 06/09/2014
- Lebanon Requires Immediate Attention — 10/15/2013
- Arab Myths Distort Understanding Of American Policy — 09/23/2013
- Saving the Arab Levant — 07/29/2013
- 5 Years After the Cairo Speech: How Arabs View President Obama and America — 06/03/2014
- Attitudes of Arabs (2005) — 01/04/2012
- Rafic Hariri Assassination (2005) — 01/04/2012
- Poll Shows Bases for Unity in Lebanon (2005) — 01/04/2012
- Testimony to House Committee on Foreign Affairs — 01/04/2012